Thursday, February 26, 2009

OUCH!

Hello my three followers,

As you all know, I have two children. My eldest, Levi, is not a terribly coordinated child (a gentle depiction, in my opinion). He is at an age (9), however, when boys are suddenly expected to be good at all sports. Needless to say, this is creating a challenge for us. So, in an attempt to help my beloved, I tried to play basketball with him after school today. Seconds after saying, "don't be afraid of the ball", he attempted a bounce pass which landed directly in front of me and then flew up and slammed into my little finger on the left hand. I felt/heard something bad happen (I'm assuming a sprain at this point), and I instantly became nauseous from waves of pain.

The first thing I thought about was my job. I type, on average, about 400,000 key strokes on Wednesdays and Thursdays. So here I am, doing a test run on my blog to see if my finger still works. I guess it's safe to assume I'm going to be alright.

Another highlight of the week occurred yesterday. I went on a field trip with Luke's class to the Wildlife Zoo about 10 minutes from my house. It's actually a really neat little zoo. They have several different types of animals including lions, tigers, panthers, giraffes, and a rhino, and they recently added a small aquarium. This is not your normal zoo, however. You can get much closer to the animals than in other zoos, and it is very dusty as nothing is paved. It's about as non-San Diego Zoo as you can get. I was put in charge of four kindergarten boys, two of which have an apparent hearing deficit and/or ADHD. Luke was among my four (obviously). Luke is a class clown and is not afraid to draw attention to himself and, by extension, his mother. We had just come to the camel enclosure, when beloved #2 suddenly yelled out, "Hey, a camel, c'mon--FART ALREADY!", much to the glee of all the boys with him, who took up the chant of "FART! FART! FART!" Mother of the year material, I know.....

Love you all, and I love my kiddos too! Mothering really is like taking your heart out and letting it walk around on its own.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good stories! And I love that thought about motherhood. Taking your heart out and letting it walk around on it's own. Very true!

Katie said...

Funny stories sis! You have a way with words. So, about being my editor......